eXceem

Go Back   eXceem > Off Topic > The Lounge

Few web questions

This is a discussion on Few web questions within the The Lounge forums, part of the Off Topic category; What's a best website for a personal blog ? I'm going to start writing a poker blog as soon as ...

Old 06-06-08, 11:21 PM   #1
Mini Mac

Dim Tim is a glorious beacon of lightDim Tim is a glorious beacon of lightDim Tim is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Dim Tim

Few web questions

What's a best website for a personal blog ? I'm going to start writing a poker blog as soon as I turn 18 so I just wanted to know which site is the best.

What's the best hosting site + domains ? I like to have everything in one place so does anyone know a good website for hosting which also offers a good domain management...(preferably with Cpanel)...something like 1-2-3reg or something like that ?

Last question: you know if I design my own layout for a blog, in photoshop and then slice and code it, is there anyway I can incoporate it into a blog ?

Thanks a lot (I expect most of these questions to be answered by Chingley for some reason, but I can't be bothered to ask him on MSN - it's waaaay past his bed time)

Advert - Join eXceem now to remove this advert
Old 06-06-08, 11:23 PM   #2
iPod 20gb

Doctor has a spectacular aura about

Re: Few web questions

3ix.com is good for hosting.

You can intergrate your design into your blog, with a few tweaks here and there

Old 06-06-08, 11:26 PM   #3
Mini Mac

Dim Tim is a glorious beacon of lightDim Tim is a glorious beacon of lightDim Tim is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
3ix.com is good for hosting.

You can intergrate your design into your blog, with a few tweaks here and there
how compliacted are there tweaks, do you need any php knowledge ?

and I'll check 3ix.com out now thanks

Edit: By the way, I don't need the hosting to be cheap lol I want something reliable with a lot of bandwith and maybe a few domains thrown in too

Last edited by SwedishTom; 07-06-08 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Please Use The Edit Button Within 5 Minutes!

Old 06-06-08, 11:30 PM   #4
iPod 20gb

Doctor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Tim View Post
how compliacted are there tweaks, do you need any php knowledge ?

and I'll check 3ix.com out now thanks
If you use the deafult template that comes with wordpress (blogging software) then it's pretty easy....

Old 07-06-08, 12:27 AM   #5
Mini Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
If you use the deafult template that comes with wordpress (blogging software) then it's pretty easy....
can I make a few modifications to it or anything ?

Because like I said, I've already got the design sorted out

Old 07-06-08, 01:15 AM   #6
iPod Nano 4GB

Xaviier has a spectacular aura about

The best host I have ever used is HostGator. It costs $3.99 a month (or something like that) and the bandwidth and storage is more than you'll probably need with room to expand.

I'd also recommend using WordPress (you can auto install this if you host with HostGator) and it's easy to use, has masses of features built in, is easy to skin and Google loves it in terms of SEO.

Old 07-06-08, 01:17 AM   #7
Mini Mac

ainsleee is a splendid one to beholdainsleee is a splendid one to beholdainsleee is a splendid one to beholdainsleee is a splendid one to beholdainsleee is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to ainsleee Send a message via twitter to ainsleee

Hey i would tell you to avoid UKreg. They offer domain registration and hosting from fasthost. However they allowed me 2 sign up 2 times with the same email, and the same credit card details so i had 2 different usernames but only one of them had my domain registered on there. Also they have crap customer service as you need to log in to get help, but if you have a password querey you obviously cant log in silly if you ask me lol

Old 07-06-08, 06:45 AM   #8
Mini Mac

-null- is a glorious beacon of light-null- is a glorious beacon of light-null- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Tim View Post
can I make a few modifications to it or anything ?

Because like I said, I've already got the design sorted out
You can create your own wordpress themes or yeah you could probably modify an existing one. I found this article useful when I did it WPDesigner So you want to create WordPress themes huh? and the wordpress documentation seems quite comprehensive.

Old 07-06-08, 12:28 PM   #9
Mini Mac

what about 123-reg, how are they for downtime etc ?

Old 07-06-08, 04:15 PM   #10
iPod 30gb

SandDancer is a splendid one to beholdSandDancer is a splendid one to beholdSandDancer is a splendid one to beholdSandDancer is a splendid one to beholdSandDancer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to SandDancer

wordpress for your blog + hostgator for hosting & godaddy for your domain

if your gonna sign upto hostgator gimme a shout you can use my refferal link